I have been a fan of yoga and mindfulness meditation for a while. I find a daily mindful meditation easy enough to incorporate into my day but the yoga practice had been neglected. I am an expert at having something more pressing to do/ being too tired after work/or needing a cup of tea!
I got so tired about a month ago that I decided to look at things from the other way round…
Instead of going with my mood or how tired I felt, I just found some yoga flows on YouTube and dedicated 30 minutes every single day to practice. After following a couple of different teachers, I found one I really liked and who suited my pace.
Now, I’m not sure about getting to this level any time soon! But the great thing about Yoga is it’s really not about the competition (phew!) It’s about working to your own level and ENJOYING the practice.
There are so many benefits to yoga, including:
- Stress reduction
- Improved sleep
- Increased flexibility
- Improved self esteem
- Strengthening some rarely used muscles!
- Clearing your head even if it’s only for 10 minutes
- Yoga flows or Ashtanga Yoga can really get the blood pumping
- Reduced blood pressure and cholesterol
- Encourages drainage of the lymph system, which can boost the immune system
- It doesn’t have to cost you anything (borrow a mat from someone who’s abandoned theirs in a cupboard!)
- It’s just great!
So, if you’re feeling a little out of sorts physically or emotionally, try embracing your inner downward-facing dog.
What have you got to lose?